I remember with pride those who have fought in wars past AND present - the dead and the living - with the courage to fight and risk all that they have so that my country and the world can remain free and safe.
- They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
- Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
- They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
- They fell with their faces to the foe.
- They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
- Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
- At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
- We will remember them.
- ("For The Fallen" by Laurence Binyon, written in September 1914)