Saturday 28 November 2009

Saturday 28 November 2009

It is over.  I knew this day would come.  It was inevitable, after all this time, and living in this worldly cycle as we do.  But I didn't think it would come this soon.

Yes - my partner and I have, today, FINISHED our Christmas shopping!  Yippppieee!

We'll admit that much of it has been done online, and at less cost than formerly.  But, nonetheless, the task is completed and we are happy with our choices.  We do, admittedly, have one or two odds and s*ds left to buy for various friends - but the bulk is behind us now (and that is NOT a reference to my partner's bottom...).

We had a lovely day today, on a rare occasion without rain (although it is now raining as I type, but it is dark outside now so I don't care).  First of all, we drove to the shops in our New Teal Megane.  I stayed to guard our carriage whilst my partner made our purchases (and carried out our monthly big food shop).  Afterwards, we went to the woods for MY half of the excursion and we had a lovely walk.  You will never guess who I met in the woods as well - Candy!!  Yes, the chocolate Labrador, my main girlfriend!!!  We had a joyous reunion, followed by a rip-snorter of a game amongst the trees, whilst my partner explained to Candy's partner about Maisie and her "little accident" (she is happily much on the mend now.  I am going to visit her tomorrow) and why I had not visited the park recently.

Utterly delightful.

As if that were not exciting enough, my partner was given, via her mother, an intriguingly-scented and tied-up carrier bag from Maisie on Friday evening.  My partner would not let me investigate it more closely and has put it in the kitchen, on top of the microwave oven - the highest point in the room.  I keep sneaking in for a sniff, and my suspicions are confirmed - it is an advent calendar, with a scrummy doggy-treat behind each window.  Yayy!   My partner thinks I don't know what it is, but I do.  However, I know she won't let me have it until December - and, if last year is anything to go by, I will only be allowed to open one door (thus gaining just one treat) per day.

The Christmas trees went up in our little town today.  Every year, instead of garish, tacky illuminations, each shop or house in the main bit of the town has a small, real tree adorned with lights affixed to their property.  It has happened ever since my partner moved to the town as a small girl, and long may it continue.  Here is a small picture (which doesn't really do justice to the beauty of the sight during the hours of darkness):




So now, after an extremely satisfying day, my partner is enjoying a well-earned cup of tea whilst I finish off this blog entry.  I have recently eaten my supper and now, as I draw this post to its conclusion, I am thinking that I may enjoy a light nap before bedtime.  'Tis a hard ordeal, but a necessary one.

And if you thought that the opening sentences of this entry were proclaiming to the world the demise of Jasper - shame on you.  I am a man in my prime.  And not a single drop of Botox in sight...

(I meant not to deceive - but my partner hinted at how my words might be misconstrued when she sneaked a cheeky peek over my shoulder, and I'm too tired from thinking about my pre-bedtime nap to go back and change it now).

Good evening.

3 comments:

Lance said...

Congratulations Sir Jasper (and your Ruth) on completing your Christmas shopping. I have yet to begin mine (although the condo is MOSTLY decorated). I recognize that picture, and it brings back many WONDERFUL memories of your little Hampshire town. Oh how I wish I could come back and visit again. Christmas is the MOST wonderful time to visit your fair Island.

Now... what about Maizie? I didn't know she wasn't well. Please let her know I'm praying for her and for her rapid recovery.

Give your Ruth -- and her parents -- all my love as we begin the Christmas season. I wish all of you the happiest and most joyous season possible.

XXOO, Lance

The Animal Doctor said...

Jasper, is there really such thing as a light nap before bedtime???

LOL

The Secretary

Angie said...

Christmas shopping DONE already? Goshly. I am impressed. I'm thinking of writing a Christmas card or two. I have the dodgiest set of folk to get prezzies for - none of them actually WANTS anything but they would, to a man, be most put out if they didn't get anything.

Hey, yerse, what was that about Maisie? What's up?

love, Angie, xx